The Quaker movement was started by George Fox in 1654.
He was a revolutionary thinker who was convinced that the
ordinary man or woman had direct access to "the light
within" and needed no intermediaries in the form of priests
or ministers to access "that of God in everyman". This
stance, and the way of life that his followers adopted led
to much persecution and suffering in the early days of the
Today, Quakers are to be found around the world, and
meetings have been held in the Havering area since the
1930's, although it was not until 1944 that the first
Meeting House was purchased, originally in Victoria Road,
Romford. The present Meeting House in Gidea Park was
opened in 1961. A pleasant building standing in its
own grounds, is used by various groups in the community, and
also available for hire.
"THE SOCIETY OF FRIENDS (QUAKERS) IN HAVERING" by Ian
Hutchings which gives a detailed history of Quakers in
general and in Havering.